Skip to main content

The Real Crash Bandicoot

Northern Brown Bandicoot; Photo by the Queensland Museum
Bandicoots had their fifteen minutes of worldwide fame in 1996, when Sony released a popular videogame on their Playstation platform called 'Crash Bandicoot'. To me, the protagonist looked more like a tail-less fox than our native marsupial, but I like to think it raised the profile of bandicoots to koala-like levels for a generation of youths around the world.

Last week, I caught up with the real thing when I carried out a quick mammal survey
in Burpengary. On one of the rare nights when it wasn't bucketing down, I went spotlighting in the riparian forest behind the Caboolture Region Environmental Education Centre on Rowley Road. There wasn't much to see on that particular night, but when my friend and I reached the steep and densely vegetated bank of Burpengary Creek, we heard a rustling coming from a nearby thicket. Closer inspection revealed a pair of Northern Brown Bandicoots (Isoodon macrourus). 

Some Brisbane residents will find traces of these animals in their gardens. Bandicoots are famous for frustrating proud lawn-owners thanks to the small conical pits they dig during the night. Only a foolish gardener would want to prevent this however, as the Bandicoots are actually digging up beetle larvae that would otherwise kill sections of the grass from underneath. Think of it as a free pest-control service!

Bandicoots are usually solitary creatures, but the pair at Burpengary stayed very close together, with the terrier-sized male following the smaller female. This is courtship behaviour, and it's one of the only times that Bandicoots are seen together. Once the female relents and mates with her persistent pursuer, she will give birth to a litter of joeys just twelve-and-a-half days later; this is the shortest gestation period of any mammal in the world.

In South-east Queensland, the Northern Brown Bandicoot is a common resident that can be found wherever patches of dense vegetation remain. This includes the inner suburbs of Brisbane - in November, I found their diggings on the scrubby fenceline of the Indooroopilly Golf Course. Along the coastal mountain ranges in places like Mount Nebo, spotlighting may reveal our only other Bandicoot in South-east Queensland, the Long-nosed Bandicoot (Perameles nasuta). I have yet to see this species for myself here, but became well acquainted with them during a North Queensland roadtrip in 2013.

Comments

  1. 12 1/2 days?! WOW!!! just WOW!!! cute little critter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, shocking, hey!? There must be a high mortality rate for them, as we don't seem to be over-run with Bandicoots!

      Delete
  2. Good grief... such a short gestation - I'm WOWing the same as T above!! That, plus the pest control service they provide make the Bandicoot pretty amazing little creatures.
    Beaut that you got to observe a pair in your spotlighting trip. A really interesting post Christian, thank you :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, yes it was a pleasure! I think I'll be able to spot more of them now. That's the way it goes with animals, you see them once and then you know what signs and what places to look for from then onwards.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the insight into bandicoot behavior - great to know these little guys are still surviving in some parts of the urban sprawl. We saw the long-nosed at O'Reilly's last year - one helped with the washing-up. And did you hear that bandicoots are making a comeback around Sydney? Not sure why. Cheers, Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, yes the long-nosed is a friendly little campsite character! No I didn't know that about Sydney's bandicoots but that is great news. I think tiny patches of bush in our suburbs hold more valye than we realise. Apparently the last mainland Eastern Quoll was from Vaucluse, an uppity inner Eastern suburb of Sydney.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys

Book review Reed New Holland Publishing, 2002. It’s noon on a warm autumn day and I am driving south along Beaudesert Road towards the peripheral suburbs of Brisbane’s southside that remain largely a mystery to me. I have decided that not knowing the amphibian fauna inhabiting the suburb of Algester is a personal error that I simply must rectify. My favourite way to search for frogs is to go spotlighting on humid spring and summer nights, but I have left it a little late this year and doubt my chances at finding them now that the evenings have mercifully turned cooler. Instead, I am going to survey the local amphibian population in a way that is quite new to me, aided by a secret weapon sitting in the passenger seat next to me: Marion Anstis’s book, Tadpoles of South-eastern Australia: A Guide With Keys .