Skip to main content

Peaceful morning among the piccabeen palms

Piccabeen palms, Mount Tamborine.

Last Thursday, I braved a cold early morning to head up into Mount Tamborine and spend some time with the rainforest plants.

After becoming well-acquainted with the MacDonald section of Mount Tamborine National Park last year, I decided to explore somewhere new, spending a good two hours at a site called Areca Gully.

Velvetleaf, Mount Tamborine.
Situated on Contour Road in Eagle Heights, the gully and surrounding land was donated to the council by the Herringe family, and is well-looked after by Tamborine Mountain Landcare Inc.

The botanical gems of this place made themselves known to me very quickly, and one particular plant caught my eye as soon as I got out of my car.

Covered in tiny purple berries at this time of year, the velvetleaf (Callicarpa pedunculata) grows at the periphery of the rainforest in much the same way as lantana (Lantana camara) might, but is a native species.

In fact, my impression of it was that it would make a good substitute for the pervasive lantana weed, but although the velvetleaf is from the same family, it is apparently not quite as hardy and versatile as lantana, and wouldn’t thrive in as many varied locations.

This perhaps explains why I’ve never come across this plant before!

Continuing down into the gully along the narrow dirt trail, I appreciated the little arrow markers that guided me through bush regeneration areas and then into a grove of beautiful piccabeen palms (Archontophoenix cunninghamiana)

The morning sunlight filtering into this peaceful, echoing chamber of trees made me feel like I was in some kind of natural cathedral, and I was happy to linger there for quite some time.

Morning in the palm grove, Mount Tamborine.

Upon exiting, I noticed a large red fruit on the track, and looked up to see it had fallen from a giant tree that towered high above the palms—a type of lilly pilly fittingly known as the red apple (Acmena ingens).

Red apple fruit, Mount Tamborine.

Further along the trail, the dominant trees changed from palms, lilly pillies and strangler figs (Ficus watkinsiana) to eucalypts.

Flooded gum, Mount Tamborine.
With their tall, ghostly-white trunks, most were easily recognised as flooded gums (Eucalyptus grandis), but one tree stood out as having more patterned bark than the others.

I considered it to be a grey gum species (E. propinqua or E. biturbinata) for quite some time thanks to this feature, but as I continued to review my photos and consult my resources, I realised it was just another flooded gum, albeit unusually marked.

This open habitat was obviously more sunlit, and therefore more attractive to the birds and insects in need of warming up on this chilly morning.

Crimson rosella, Mount Tamborine.
A pair of crimson rosellas (Platycercus elegans) feeding at the edge of the clearing made for an exceptionally beautiful encounter.

Nearby was a gold-spotted drone fly (Eristalinus punctulatus), sunbathing on vegetation.

Lower in the gully in a damp area near the road, I found another interesting species of fly that seemed to live as a colony on the leaves of a tall sedge (Carex appressa).

These flies—known as long-legged stilt-flies (Micropezidae family)—more closely resembled ants at first glance, thanks to their slow, ambling gait over the vegetation.

LEFT to RIGHT: golden blowfly (Calliphora sp.), gold-spotted drone-fly, long-legged stilt-fly, Mount Tamborine.

They were strange little creatures with curious social behaviours, and they made me feel like I had only just begun to tap into the beauty and mystery of this location.

I look forward to returning some time!

Strangler fig, Mount Tamborine.

Comments

  1. My name is John Bestevaar. One of the team that helps manage these public reserves on Tamborine. Thank you very much for your lovely and very accurate review of the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, thank you for your kind feedback, and most importantly, for your hard work restoring beautiful places like these! We are both members of a plant ID group on Facebook and I really respect your botany skills there, so glad to hear you deem what I've written as 'accurate'! 😄

      Delete
  2. Love this post. You articulate so well the simple pleasure of quiet enjoyment of the natural world. Great photo of the "palm grove".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sri, that palm grove just had the BEST effect on me! I was so relaxed and happy for the entire week after! 😊

      Delete
  3. I have lived on Tamborine Mountain for over 13 years and in the last 18 months I have enjoyed discovering the wonderful sites maintained by Landcare. They do an absolutely amazing job. There are other sites on the mountain that you may also enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are a fan of the Landcare sites as well! And yes, Mount Tamborine is a beautiful place on the whole that I enjoy every visit to! You are very blessed to live there 😄

      Delete
  4. Beautiful forest and photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those palms are nothing short of spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Wild Queensland: Photos and stories from my roadtrip north

Earlier this month, I drove up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday Region to celebrate the 40th birthday of my close friend, Kat. Photo by Luke Martin. Our time there overlapped for one weekend, in which we enjoyed swims, drinks, hearty dinners and a sailing adventure around the islands. The celebrations and wonderful catch-ups flew by quickly, but when Kat and her husband Luke flew back down south on Sunday, I still had a week's worth of time at my disposal to explore the nature of Queensland's coast. I started with a journey into the forests of Conway National Park, just a ten minute drive east of Airlie Beach. I spent a sunny, humid morning walking up to the peak of Mount Rooper, through vine scrub and eucalypt forest. It was exhilarating!  I immediately saw a new species of bird for me in the carpark there, a female olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis). After so much rain earlier in the week, the forest floor was also teeming with amazing fungi! After lunch back in town,