Skip to main content

About Wild BNE

Exploring Springbrook National Park; photo by Leah Mahoney
Who is behind Wild BNE?
Wild BNE is the nature journal of myself, Christian Perrin. I am a Brisbane-born and based naturalist with an insatiable curiosity for the natural world, especially as it pertains to South-east Queensland. 

What is Wild BNE? 
Wild BNE is a wildlife blog with linked social media pages, established in 2013 after I returned to Brisbane from living overseas and
elsewhere for most of my twenties. Coming back to my hometown following such an extended absence allowed me to see South-east Queensland from a fresh perspective, and I realised there is an incredible natural beauty that is often under-appreciated by both residents and visitors alike. 

What does BNE stand for?
BNE stands for Brisbane. If you visit London or New York City, you’ll see souvenirs and slogans saying "I ❤ LDN" and "I ❤ NYC" respectively. I thought Brisbane could use a similar kind of pride!

What’s so special about South-east Queensland’s natural heritage?
South-east Queensland is a subtropical region that captures a mix of Australia’s northern tropical plants and creatures, and their southern, more temperate counterparts. If you look at the distribution maps for all kinds of different animal and plant groups, you’ll find a lot of species are at the limit of their range just to the north or south of Brisbane, usually encompassing the area either way.

Baby birdwatcher, 1984.

Bughuntin' with my Dad at Dowse Lagoon,
circa 1993.
What is my background, as Wild BNE founder?
I can’t remember a time that I wasn’t obsessed with wildlife. When I was a baby, my family lived on Lunn Street in Sandgate, a stone’s throw from the glorious Dowse Lagoon. Even though it’s a frowned-upon activity now, my parents and I would feed the waterbirds that lived there, and one of my earliest memories is of being surrounded by a menagerie of geese, ducks and rails that captured my full attention. My parents encouraged my interests further with a decent book collection and weekend bushwalks, and in my early teens, I joined the IBIS Bird Observers, a Sandgate-based birdwatching club led by Mrs Pat Barry. In my twenties, a lot of other life experiences began to compete for my time—travel, nightlife, the demands of work and more—and my life felt a little unbalanced to some extent. Looking back now, I can say with certainty that it was because my love of nature had been pushed to the periphery of my life, instead of being where it belongs as a central focus. I made up for lost time when I returned to Brisbane in 2012, and expanded my enthusiasm from just birds initially, to absolutely everything you might find in the bush, sea or backyard. 

Where is Wild BNE headed?
When I started Wild BNE, my original goal was for it to be something that helps people grow their own personal connection to the incredible wilderness we all share in South-east Queensland. I wanted people to suddenly look twice at the water dragon at Southbank, to wonder about the mysterious private life of the tiny spider on their garden plant, and to feel the same amount of enthusiasm for our corner of the planet that is so easy to muster up elsewhere when on holiday. 

Over the years, my ambition for my blog has waxed and waned. I had an idea to eventually turn it into some kind of ecotourism business, but my thirties have seen a shift in my personal values, and I don’t think income and money is the only way to validate oneself and life's passions.

I am increasingly critical of social media’s role in my life and the world at large. Keeping my blog has allowed me to make new friends, learn new things, support great organisations and more, but there is a negative side to it as well, especially for someone prone to anxiety. 

Moving forward, I envision Wild BNE as a public nature journal in which I share excerpts of my private nature journals. Some of the posts may be on Facebook, some of them here on the blog website, and if I am ever slow to reply to questions or comments, please understand that I try to limit how much time I spend online and sometimes schedule posts to publish automatically.
 
To every lovely person I have met along the way of keeping this blog, thank you for your wonderful company online and in person, your good will and your interest.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Christian


Whistling kite (Haliastur sphenurus), Bribie Island.

Comments

  1. We have always found your knowledge of and enthusiasm for the natural world inspiring. Bring on your Wild BNE Eco Tour plans and we wish you every success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate all your support and the inspiration flows as a two-way street in this situation! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a fantastic new direction for you Christian! I wish you much success as you grow and develop your business. You certainly have the required knowledge of nature, wildlife & ecosystems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, that's very kind of you to say and I really appreciate the encouragement :)

      Delete
  3. You have found your passion and followed it- that is a great achievement. At times it may get tough but you seem to have found part of the answer to why you are here :) Good luck with the eco-tour idea. It sounds like a niche waiting to be filled. It is astonishing what being away from the same old, same old can do for your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support Carolyn. Wild BNE has almost provided me with a sense of relief, so long had I been wondering what I was meant to do with my life!

      Delete
  4. Wild BNE is a great way to help people realise what a wonderful natural world surrounds us here. Thanks for your postings about the Norman Creek Catchment and all the best with your ecotours; they will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your support, and thank you also for your hard work with the Norman Creek Catchment. One of the things that makes my suburb such a delight to live in is that wonderful creek bringing life to the area and wildlife into our backyards!

      Delete
  5. You are following your passion and you will be rewarded

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

North Queensland Trip, Part 1.

Eungella National Park Eungella National Park location; Image courtesy of Google Maps. My home state of Queensland is a huge place. Bigger than any of the United States, it is considered the sixth largest sub-national entity in the world, behind such remote provinces as Nunavut in Canada, and the Danish territory of Greenland. Though I've lived in and travelled through Europe and Canada, much of my birthplace remains a mystery to me. To rectify this situation, I planned a road-tripping holiday this year with my sister and her partner, in the Northern section of the state. My first visit to anywhere in the Tropics, I have since returned home with some of the most amazing wildlife experiences possible!

Wild Plants of Ipswich

I've never really taken much notice of plants until recently, regarding them usually as just the thing that a bird perches on while you're watching it. This week I decided it was time to change that attitude by trying my hand at plant identification in Denmark Hill Conservation Park, located in the centre of Ipswich. The park is just 11.5 hectares in size, but preserves a patch of bushland that acts as an 'island refuge' in a sea of suburbia. I did my best to focus on the trees and not be too distracted by birds or the resident Koala   (Phascolarctos cinereus)  population, and came up with nine interesting trees and plants seen on the Water Tower Circuit.

Wild Queensland: Photos and stories from my roadtrip north

Earlier this month, I drove up to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday Region to celebrate the 40th birthday of my close friend, Kat. Photo by Luke Martin. Our time there overlapped for one weekend, in which we enjoyed swims, drinks, hearty dinners and a sailing adventure around the islands. The celebrations and wonderful catch-ups flew by quickly, but when Kat and her husband Luke flew back down south on Sunday, I still had a week's worth of time at my disposal to explore the nature of Queensland's coast. I started with a journey into the forests of Conway National Park, just a ten minute drive east of Airlie Beach. I spent a sunny, humid morning walking up to the peak of Mount Rooper, through vine scrub and eucalypt forest. It was exhilarating!  I immediately saw a new species of bird for me in the carpark there, a female olive-backed sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis). After so much rain earlier in the week, the forest floor was also teeming with amazing fungi! After lunch back in town,